The Red Sox have acquired Eduardo Nunez from the San Francisco Giants and double down on current strategy. The veteran third baseman garnered a pretty nice return for the Giants in the form of young pitchers Shaun Anderson and Gregory Santos. Nunez will be a rental this season for Boston as the make a push to the post season.
While the 30-year old isn’t known for his power, he’s good at making contact, and even better at consistently doing so. Nunez is slashing a solid .308/.334/.417 this year and helps stop the bleeding for Boston’s hot corner.
Here are what other news and rumors are poppin’ around the American League East:
- Kevin Kiermaier will begin his rehab assignment today.
- Rob Refsnyder was the end of an era of Yankees prospects.
- Can Justin Smoak continue to make contact at a high rate? Fingers crossed.
- As the deadline gets closer, the Orioles’ chances of trading Zach Britton are getting slimmer and slimmer.
- The Tampa Bay Rays have placed Jake Odorizzi on the 10-day disabled list.
- Just in case the Yankees don’t end up with Sonny Gray, here are some good alternatives that they should pursue.
- Andrew Benintendi has had a discouraging month of July.
- Blue Jays have traded cash to the Twins for pitcher Nick Tepesch.
- Time to play Devil’s advocate and use a little imagination: what if the Orioles had kept different players instead?
- The Rays are interested in trading for Addison Reed and Lucas Duda.
- The Yankees are reportedly “making progress” toward a Sonny Gray deal.
- Boston prospects Rafael Devers and Jason Groome land on MLB Pipeline’s top 100 prospects list. Now, Devers will get his change to shine on the big stage.
- The Orioles might think they have a wild card chance because hey no one else is good either.