The Jays have designated J.P. Howell and Mike Ohlman for assignment. In a corresponding move, they’ve activated Miguel Montero and Dominic Leone.
Howell has pitched a 7.36 ERA over 11 innings for Toronto this year, so while his end was coming, it’s surprising that it’s coming this late in the season. The Blue Jays have very seldom used him this year, and this departure is coming on the heels of a fairly decent outing. About $750,000 of his $3M contract remain.
Montero has been activated from the DL because, well, now Russell Martin is back on it for a strained oblique. The back up catcher will be coming back from a strained groin he sustained on August 4th.
Here are what other news and rumors are floating around the American League East:
- Let’s do a deep dive into Blake Snell’s disappearing walk problem.
- Should the Red Sox keep giving Doug Fister starts?
- Chad Green is finally getting the attention he deserves.
- Anthony Santander is finally coming off the DL. What can he bring to the O's?
- Are the Rays still a playoff team?
- How the Red Sox can (and continue to) win without a star hitter.
- Marco Estrada has been claimed on revocable waivers by mystery AL East Team.
- What should the Yankees’ corner infield look like when Greg Bird returns?
- The Orioles would be better off with Mark Trumbo on the bench.
- Lest we dwell on the sad state of the now, let’s look at what the Rays will be working with in the future.
- Where is Mookie Betts’ power? $10,000 reward to whoever can bring it home safely.
- The Blue Jays are really keeping themselves busy with roster moves. Toronto has selected the contract of Tim Mayza, optioned Leonel Campos, and sign Brett Anderson to a minor-league deal.
- Aroldis Chapman has become a liability.