Kansas City placed veteran right-hander Joakim Soria on the 10-day disabled list with an oblique injury, the team announced Friday.
The Royals have been competing for one of the American League Wild Card spots but have been plagued by bullpen inconsistencies at times this season.
Over 50 innings this season, Soria has pitched to a 3.96 ERA and 2.06 FIP. He has walked just 16 hitters and is averaging close to nine strikeouts per nine innings.
Here’s the latest from around the American League Central.
- Cleveland activated left-hander Andrew Miller from the disabled list, which should be a significant boost for the club’s bullpen.
- Just call Chicago left-hander Carlos Rodon Mr. August. It’s getting deeper into the season, and Rodon keeps getting better.
- Ian Kinsler didn’t have very nice things to say about umpire Angel Hernandez, and he was fined as a result.
- There is a chance the Twins will call up Stephen Gonsalves to make a start Monday.
- Mike Moustakas is having a solid year and the power has been a notable plus.