The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans! Are you exhausted from Monday’s whirlwind? We’ll help catch you up on anything you may have missed.
Here’s what went down in baseball at the deadline and the hours after:
So...how do August trades work, again? Glad you asked.
- Check out what’s going on in the National League Central.
- Our Chris Cotillo ran down the biggest stories to monitor on deadline day. How many of them actually panned out?
- The Cardinals floated Stephen Piscotty and pitchers in Sonny Gray talks, but sadly no dice.
- Colorado made a move of its own, upgrading at catcher by obtaining Jonathan Lucroy from the Rangers.
- Ranking the 10 biggest deadline deals because we also still can’t believe it’s over.
- The Red Sox have acquired Addison Reed.
- Edinson Volquez will undergo Tommy John surgery.
- Hoping to fix their dire infield problem, the Diamondbacks have acquired Adam Rosales.
- The Astros have acquired Francisco Liriano from the Blue Jays.
- Cleveland has acquired Joe Smith from the Blue Jays as well, because there were really in a sellin’ kind of mood.
- The Diamondbacks have acquired David Hernandez.
- Pre firestorm, the Pirates have traded lefty Tony Watson to the Dodgers.
- Brock Holt tried in vain to avoid an out by playing tag at home plate.
- Can I get a “FINALLY!”. The Nationals have acquired closer Brandon Kintzler.
- The Orioles have acquired Tim Beckham.
- Austin Jackson flipped into the bullpen at Fenway while making this amazing catch, baseball is magical.
- The Dodgers have acquire left handed-pitcher Tony Cingrani from the Reds.
- The Pirates have acquired pitcher Joaquin Benoit.
- Alex Avila was fine with his dad trading him, but his mom was not.
- IT. HAPPENED. GUYS. The Yankees have acquired Sonny Gray from the Athletics in exchange for three prospects.
- Before we could even process the Gray deal, boom, anotha one, the Dodgers have acquired Yu Darvish.
- Former Little League World Series star Mo’ne Davis is back on the mound and we couldn’t be more excited.
- And, finally, some fresh new faces for the future: The Mets have called up Amed Rosario.
- Say hello to the first player born in 1997 to make it to the big stage: the Braves have called up Ozzie Albies.
We need a nap.
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 2009, Melky Cabrera completes a cycle with a ninth-inning triple.