The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans! We hope you enjoyed the eclipse but not enough that you burned your retinas and can no longer read our glorious content.
Yes, the non-waiver trade deadline is behind us, but there are still deals to be made by the end of the waiver deadline this month. Stay tuned to MLBDD for the latest.
Have you entered our mock GM contest yet? Put yourself in the driver’s seat for your favorite team and you could win a sweet prize. Check it out here for the complete contest details and rules.
- Here’s the latest from around the National League West.
- Because the Mets have pissed off all of the baseball gods, Steven Matz will have season-ending elbow surgery...again.
- The Cubs claimed catcher Rene Rivera off waivers Saturday afternoon.
- The Blue Jays acquired right-hander Tom Koehler from the Marlins in exchange for a minor league pitcher.
- Ozzie Albies tried to throw to first and the ball somehow ended up at home instead. Let’s blame it on the eclipse.
- Tommy Pham wore custom cleats designed by 2 kids battling cancer during MLB Little League Classic. No we’re not crying, we’ve been cutting onions.
- Andrew Miller leaves game after facing one batter and throwing only seven pitches. This is not good.
- Manny Machado capped a 3-home run game with a walkoff grand slam, in case you’d forgotten he’s Manny FREAKIN’ Machado.
- The 2 Boog Powells will meet for the first time at Camden Yards this week. And you thought the eclipse was the biggest thing happening to humanity this week.
- The only full-time female scout in baseball doesn’t consider herself a trailblazer. Here’s why.
- North Carolina has 2 no-hitters in 2 Little League World Series games. The Red Sox are probably already scouting them.
- This home plate umpire was forced to leave last night’s Cleveland / Red Sox game after being hit in the head by a pitch.
- MLB players hung out at the Little League World Series with the teams and it reminded us of what baseball is all about and how this amazing, frustrating game connects us all.
August Waiver Trade Tracker
Full list of players on trade waivers
MLB Free Agent List
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 1999, Mark McGwire becomes the first player to reach the 50 home run milestone in four consecutive seasons.