Breaking news: Everyone on the Mets is apparently made of glass. Just like death and taxes, you can always count on an abundance of injuries haunting the Mets. This year feels particularly dense. Yesterday, Michael Conforto left the game against the Diamondbacks with a dislocated shoulder after swing too hard on a 2-0 pitch. Remember Zack Wheeler? Yeah, he’s also done for the season. This was his first season back from Tommy John. Earlier this week, Stephen Matz went down after it was decided he’d have season ending elbow surgery. It’s a circus of follies at all times.
Now, it looks like the latest Met to be put out to pasture is Terry Collins. The Mets’ manager will be at the end of his contract when the season is over, and given the state of the team over the past two years, it seems unlikely he’ll keep his gig. No one within the Mets organization has come out to dispute these claims or defend their skipper, potentially confirming that Collins won’t be back next season. To be fair, it’s pretty difficult to manage a team that needs to be covered head to toe in bubble wrap. Just saying.
Here’s what other news is going down in the National League East:
- What’s the priority for the Braves for the rest of the season?
- Daniel Murphy is the model of consistency at the center of the Nationals’ lineup.
- The hot-and-cold Marlins could target Miguel González.
- You need this Rhys Hoskins shirt more than you’ve ever needed anything ever before.
- The Mets need to acquire starting pitchers for 2018 like right now.
- Nationals’ ace Max Scherzer won’t start against the Mets today in D.C and it’s unclear when his next start will be.
- Previewing potential September call ups for the Atlanta Braves.
- How can the Phillies build a better bullpen for 2018?
- With new ownership, who will be the nucleus of the Miami Marlins?
- Anthony Rendon loves Sean Doolittle as much as Nats fans do and who doesn’t love a good bromance?
- Freddie Freeman’s wrist is still aching. Why, baseball gods? Why?
- Should Vince Velasquez be a starter or reliever?