The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Yes, the non-waiver trade deadline is behind us, but there are still deals to be made by the end of the waiver deadline this month. Stay tuned to MLBDD for the latest.
Have you entered our mock GM contest yet? Put yourself in the driver’s seat for your favorite team and you could win a sweet prize. Check it out here for the complete contest details and rules.
The devastation in Texas right now has reached catastrophic levels. One of the best things about baseball is how inherently human it is in its glorious unpredictability and power to unite millions of people from different background in one singular moment. Now, the most human thing to do is help the people of Texas recover. Here’s how to help Houston after Hurricane Harvey.
- Here’s the latest from around the National League Central.
- The Giants and Cardinals are among the teams that have showed interest in Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton.
- Toronto designated Nori Aoki for assignment.
- Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes will be sidelined for at least six weeks, meaning it’s likely that he appeared in his final game this season, according to The New York Times’ James Wagner .
- Michael Fulmer and Jose Iglesias were claimed on waivers but didn’t end up dealt, according to FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman.
- Add Texas and Philadelphia to the list of teams interested in Stanton, according to USA Today’s Bob Nightengale.
- Seattle selected Christian Bergman’s contract, the team announced Monday.
- Victor Martinez was placed on the disabled list with an irregular heartbeat, and Detroit didn’t insure his current deal, according to Anthony Fenech of The Detroit Free Press.
- A back injury landed Dodgers pitcher Josh Fields on the disabled list.
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 2008, the Rays secured a winning season for the first time in franchise history.