The Red Sox have placed Dustin Pedroia on the 10-day disabled list with left knee inflammation. While this opens up a roster spot for Addison Reed, it’s a hefty blow to Boston’s defense. This leaves Eduardo Nunez to hold down the fort at second base.
The veteran stronghold is slashing .307/.381/.411, providing some of the best offense on the team. However, there is a silver lining to this DL stint. The move is retroactive to July 29, so Pedrioa could be back as soon as next Tuesday. Everyone can exhale now.
Here’s what else is going down in the American League East:
- Evan Longoria has become the second Rays player in history to hit for the cycle.
- Rafael Devers has been wildly impressive for Boston so far.
- The Orioles late efforts to trade Zach Britton got...really weird.
- Where do the Yankees stand among the game’s elite? Basically where they always have, with the Cash-Man at their side.
- The Blue Jays have activated J.P. Howell and selected the contract of Brett Oberholtzer to replenish the post-deadline roster.
- In case you haven’t kept up with the best baseball feud out there, Chris Archer has declared war on the Astros mascot, Orbit.
- Time to make your voice heard: What do you think about the Orioles trade deadline activity?
- After such an active trade deadline complete with a blockbuster acquisition, what’s left of the Yankees’ farm system?
- Joe Smith has been traded to Cleveland for minor leaguers Tom Pannone and Samad Taylor.
- Meet Tobias Myers, the prospect acquired in the Tim Beckham trade.
- Breaking down the prospects the Red Sox traded for Addison Reed.
- Should we expect the Orioles to win following the trade deadline? Don’t hold your breath.
- It’s time to appreciate what Brett Gardner has done for the Yankees this year, gosh darnit.
- The Blue Jays have traded Francisco Liriano to the Astros for Nori Aoki and prospect Teoscar Hernandez.