The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans! Are you exhausted from Monday’s whirlwind? We’ll help catch you up on anything you may have missed.
Here’s what went down in baseball at the deadline and the hours after:
So...how do August trades work, again? Glad you asked.
- Check out what’s going on in the American League East.
- Our Chris Cotillo ran down the biggest stories to monitor on deadline day. How many of them actually panned out?
- The Cardinals floated Stephen Piscotty and pitchers in Sonny Gray talks, but sadly no dice.
- What did the Red Sox accomplish for themselves at the deadline?
- Ranking the 10 biggest deadline deals because we also still can’t believe it’s over.
- Did the Yankees come out the winners of this year’s deadline? Should we really feign surprise anymore?
- Edinson Volquez will undergo Tommy John surgery.
- The Rays made quiet but impactful moves at the deadline.
- The Orioles didn’t deal Britton at the deadline, but were they able to make any improvements to the team?
- Need a recap on what all 30 teams did at the deadline? We’ve put that all in one place for you.
- The Braves have placed Jim Johnson and R.A. Dickey on revocable trade waivers.
- The Tigers have placed Justin Verlander on revocable trade waivers. Oooooof.
- Brock Holt tried in vain to avoid an out by playing tag at home plate.
- Can I get a “FINALLY!”. The Nationals have acquired closer Brandon Kintzler.
- Will Toronto’s weird ending to the trade season pay off?
- Austin Jackson flipped into the bullpen at Fenway while making this amazing catch, baseball is magical.
- The Pirates have acquired pitcher Joaquin Benoit.
- Alex Avila was fine with his dad trading him, but his mom was not.
- IT. HAPPENED. GUYS. The Yankees have acquired Sonny Gray from the Athletics in exchange for three prospects.
- Before we could even process the Gray deal, boom, anotha one, the Dodgers have acquired Yu Darvish.
- Former Little League World Series star Mo’ne Davis is back on the mound and we couldn’t be more excited.
- And, finally, some fresh new faces for the future: The Mets have called up Amed Rosario.
- Say hello to the first player born in 1997 to make it to the big stage: the Braves have called up Ozzie Albies.
We need a nap.
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 1967, Red Sox obtain catcher Elston Howard from the Yankees for cash and two players to be named later (pitchers Peter Magrini and Ron Klimkowski).