The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Yes, the non-waiver trade deadline is behind us, but there are still deals to be made in the next 24 hours. Stay tuned to MLBDD for the latest.
Have you entered our mock GM contest yet? Put yourself in the driver’s seat for your favorite team and you could win a sweet prize. Check it out here for the complete contest details and rules.
The devastation in Texas right now has reached catastrophic levels. One of the best things about baseball is how inherently human it is in its glorious unpredictability and power to unite millions of people from different background in one singular moment. Now, the most human thing to do is help the people of Texas recover. Here’s how to help Houston after Hurricane Harvey.
- Here’s the latest from around the National League West.
- The Giants and Cardinals are among the teams that have showed interest in Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton.
- Beloved Twins’ closer Joe Nathan has announced his retirement.
- Toronto designated Nori Aoki for assignment.
- Will we see some waiver-wire sparks at the deadline? Because there’s a mystery team interested in Tigers’ Justin Verlander.
- Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes will be sidelined for at least six weeks, meaning it’s likely that he appeared in his final game this season, according to The New York Times’ James Wagner .
- Diamondbacks’ Nick Ahmed has suffered a broken wrist.
- Add Texas and Philadelphia to the list of teams interested in Stanton, according to USA Today’s Bob Nightengale.
- With the wavier trade deadline ticking away, our Patrick Karraker ranked the 10 biggest waiver-wire trades in MLB history.
- Royals’ Danny Duffy has been charged with a DUI.
- A back injury landed Dodgers pitcher Josh Fields on the disabled list.
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 2005, Alex Rodriguez becomes the second right-handed batter in Yankees history to hit 40 homers in a season.