The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Have you entered our mock GM contest yet? Put yourself in the driver’s seat for your favorite team and you could win a sweet prize. Check it out here for the complete contest details and rules.
The devastation in Texas right now has reached catastrophic levels. One of the best things about baseball is how inherently human it is in its glorious unpredictability and power to unite millions of people from different background in one singular moment. Now, the most human thing to do is help the people of Texas recover. Here’s how to help Houston after Hurricane Harvey. Hurricane Irma was no better. Here’s how A’s pitcher Jharel Cotton is raising money for Hurricane Irma relief efforts throughout the Virgin Islands that you can contribute to.
- Here’s the latest from around the National League East.
- Cleveland centerfielder Bradley Zimmer is out 6-8 weeks with a broken hand.
- Tigers’ Matt Boyd just missed a no-hitter. And we really mean juuuuuust missed.
- Which managers are on the hot seat after this season?
- The Red Sox have activated David Price from the disabled list.
- Cleveland is interested in a Carlos Santana reunion.
- The Astros have clinched their first division title in 16 years.
- Gio Gonzalez will be heading back to the Nationals in 2018.
- Shohei Otani will play in majors in 2018.
- And the “Japanese Babe Ruth” may have hitting more exciting than his pitching.
- The Braves have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.
- Word on the street is that Jonathan Lucroy is interested in Rockies reunion. Guess you never know what cha got ‘till it’s gone.
- The Red Sox got a slap on the wrist for Applegate, and the baseball world is not pleased.
- Tommy Pham is the latest to join MLB’s 20 HR / 20 SB club. Do they give out t-shirts?
- These two Kevin Kiermaier catches are astonishing and awesome to watch. Then when you’re done, let Kiermaier’s eyes fill you with an overwhelming calm.
September Call-Up Tracker
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 2008, Greg Maddux breaks Cy Young's major league record by getting his 13th win for the 20th consecutive season.