The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Have you entered our mock GM contest yet? Put yourself in the driver’s seat for your favorite team and you could win a sweet prize. Check it out here for the complete contest details and rules.
The devastation in Texas right now has reached catastrophic levels. One of the best things about baseball is how inherently human it is in its glorious unpredictability and power to unite millions of people from different background in one singular moment. Now, the most human thing to do is help the people of Texas recover. Here’s how to help Houston after Hurricane Harvey. Hurricane Irma was no better. Here’s how A’s pitcher Jharel Cotton is raising money for Hurricane Irma relief efforts throughout the Virgin Islands that you can contribute to.
- Here’s the latest from around the National League West.
- Ranking every MLB team’s best free agent signing of 2017.
- Ian Kinsler and Al Avila will discuss the veteran’s future with Tigers.
- Which managers are on the hot seat after this season?
- Ever wonder what would have happened if the Yankees traded Derek Jeter in 1996? Our good friends at Out of the Park Baseball simulation that scenario for us and the results are pretty shocking (and depending who you root for, depressing).
- Cleveland is interested in a Carlos Santana reunion.
- The Astros have clinched their first division title in 16 years.
- Dear Rhys Hoskins: Matt Olson and his homers are comin’ for you.
- Shohei Otani will play in majors in 2018.
- Mariners' David Phelps has undergone elbow surgery.
- Chase Headley got hit right in the beans by a pitch and it looked painful. Painful might not even be the right word. Otherworldly excruciating? That sounds about right.
- Dustin Pedroia fouled a ball off of his own face and had to exit the game.
- The Red Sox got a slap on the wrist for Applegate, and the baseball world is not pleased.
- Chase Utley admits that the Dodgers clinching the division in the Phillies’ clubhouse would be ‘awkward at first’.
- These two Kevin Kiermaier catches are astonishing and awesome to watch. Then when you’re done, let Kiermaier’s eyes fill you with an overwhelming calm.
- The Phillies fan who said he’d buy everyone chicken nuggets followed through on his promise.
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 1988, Wade Boggs becomes the first player in this century to get 200 hits in six consecutive years.