The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Have you entered our mock GM contest yet? Put yourself in the driver’s seat for your favorite team and you could win a sweet prize. Check it out here for the complete contest details and rules.
The devastation in Texas, Puerto Rico, and the Caribbean right now has reached catastrophic levels. One of the best things about baseball is how inherently human it is in its glorious unpredictability and power to unite millions of people from different background in one singular moment. Now, the most human thing to do is help the people suffering. Here’s how to help Houston after Hurricane Harvey. Hurricane Irma was no better. Here’s how A’s pitcher Jharel Cotton is raising money for Hurricane Irma relief efforts throughout the Virgin Islands that you can contribute to. Here’s how you can help Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria.
- Here’s the latest from around the American League East.
- Ranking every MLB team’s best free agent signing of 2017.
- The Orioles are unlikely to trade Manny Machado this winter, so you can either exhale or punch a wall, depending on who you root for.
- Which managers are on the hot seat after this season?
- Ever wonder what would have happened if the Yankees traded Derek Jeter in 1996? Our good friends at Out of the Park Baseball simulation that scenario for us and the results are pretty shocking (and depending who you root for, depressing).
- The Padres have signed Clayton Richard to a 2-year extension.
- Brewers’ Jimmy Nelson will miss a ‘chunk’ of next season after undergoing labrum surgery.
- Rob Manfred says MLB is "redoubling" protective netting efforts after Yankee Stadium incident.
- Shohei Otani will play in majors in 2018.
- Mariners' David Phelps has undergone elbow surgery.
- Hanley Ramirez is using Tom Brady’s TB12 Method workout now. Let’s see how this one goes.
- A’s fans can win free season tickets by hitting a home run out of the Coliseum. Better start hitting the cages now.
- Cleveland’s Michael Brantley has been shut down from all running activities. Now if only I could get paid to be shut down from all running activities.
- The Blue Jays have signed Marco Estrada to a 1-year extension.
- Chris Sale becomes the second pitcher in Red Sox history to record 300 strikeouts.
- The Phillies fan who said he’d buy everyone chicken nuggets followed through on his promise.
September Call-Up Tracker
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 1911, Cy Young wins his 511th and final career game.