It was probably bound to happen within the next few days anyway, so let’s just rip the bandage off of this one as swiftly and painlessly as possible: The Mariners have been mathematically eliminated from the post season. Sorry to salt the wound. The last time Seattle was in the postseason, Ichiro Suzuki was in his American rookie season. Yep, you historians got it, 2001. The Mariners have never won a World Series title. There’s always next year?
Here’s what other news and rumors are going down in the American League West:
- Khris Davis is the first Oakland Athletics player with consecutive 40 home run seasons. You don’t earn the nickname “Khrush” for nothing.
- The Rangers are showing off their new ballpark design and honestly we’re kind of here for it.
- Check out this awesome, enlightening interview with Buster Olney from Crawfish Boxes.
- On thought experiments, Schrödinger's cat, and how Albert Pujols pinch-hitting makes a lot of sense.
- The Athletics have a lot of difficult decisions ahead of them, including what the team needs more: starting pitching or relief pitching?
- Go commiserate with fellow sad Mariners fans at Lookout Landing’s annual softball game!
- Okay, maybe we should panic a little: Rangers’ 2017 first rounder Bubba Thompson had knee tendinitis.
- Lance McCullers is back in the Houston rotation.
- Martin Maldonado and the value of a defense-first catcher.