The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Have you entered our mock GM contest yet? Put yourself in the driver’s seat for your favorite team and you could win a sweet prize. Check it out here for the complete contest details and rules.
The devastation in Texas, Puerto Rico, and the Caribbean right now has reached catastrophic levels. One of the best things about baseball is how inherently human it is in its glorious unpredictability and power to unite millions of people from different background in one singular moment. Now, the most human thing to do is help the people suffering. Here’s how to help Houston after Hurricane Harvey. Hurricane Irma was no better. Here’s how A’s pitcher Jharel Cotton is raising money for Hurricane Irma relief efforts throughout the Virgin Islands that you can contribute to. Here’s how you can help Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria.
- Here’s the latest from around the American League West.
- Ranking every MLB team’s best free agent signing of 2017.
- The Reds have signed Tucker Barnhart to a 4-year extension.
- Here’s what’s at stake in the final week of the MLB season.
- Which managers are on the hot seat after this season?
- Ever wonder what would have happened if the Yankees traded Derek Jeter in 1996? Our good friends at Out of the Park Baseball simulation that scenario for us and the results are pretty shocking (and depending who you root for, depressing).
- Scooter Gennett is the first player since Lou Gehrig to hit four grand slams and have a four home run game in one season. Baseball is wild.
- Miguel Cabrera has been diagnosed with a herniated disks in back.
- Rob Manfred says MLB is "redoubling" protective netting efforts after Yankee Stadium incident.
- The Tigers will not retain Brad Ausmus, so let’s all put on our best “shocked” faces.
- The Rangers may pursue Lorenzo Cain.
- Think of all the times in your life you’ve failed. Now think about how many were broadcast on TV. Brandon Crawford had the worst bunt attempt of all-time, mostly to help you feel better about yourself.
- The Rays will listen on Chris Archer and Alex Colome this offseason.
- The Braves have signed Kurt Suzuki to a 1-year extension.
- Addison Russell destroyed a Cardinal fan’s nachos while diving for a ball. Just another American tragedy in 2017.
- Derek Jeter is buckling down and getting ready to run the Marlins...by asking other people to do his job for him. The good ol’ Jeter finesse.
- Bruce Maxwell just became the first MLB player to take a knee for national anthem.
- Mark McGwire called Aaron Judge to congratulate him on breaking the rookie home run record. No, I’m not crying, you’re crying.
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Want to be the most stylish person you know this offseason? Check out our latest shirt with BreakingT and be the envy of all your friends and loved ones.
Today in baseball: On this day in 1961, Roger Maris ties Babe Ruth's 34 year-old single season record with his 60th home run of the year.