The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Have you entered our mock GM contest yet? Put yourself in the driver’s seat for your favorite team and you could win a sweet prize. Check it out here for the complete contest details and rules.
The devastation in Texas, Puerto Rico, and the Caribbean right now has reached catastrophic levels. One of the best things about baseball is how inherently human it is in its glorious unpredictability and power to unite millions of people from different background in one singular moment. Now, the most human thing to do is help the people suffering. Here’s how to help Houston after Hurricane Harvey. Hurricane Irma was no better. Here’s how A’s pitcher Jharel Cotton is raising money for Hurricane Irma relief efforts throughout the Virgin Islands that you can contribute to. Here’s how you can help Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria.
- Here’s the latest from around the National League West.
- Ranking every MLB team’s best free agent signing of 2017.
- Carter Capps will undergo thoracic outlet syndrome surgery.
- Here’s what’s at stake in the final week of the MLB season.
- Which managers are on the hot seat after this season?
- Ever wonder what would have happened if the Yankees traded Derek Jeter in 1996? Our good friends at Out of the Park Baseball simulation that scenario for us and the results are pretty shocking (and depending who you root for, depressing).
- The Mets plan to tender Matt Harvey.
- Miguel Cabrera has been diagnosed with a herniated disks in back.
- Rob Manfred says MLB is "redoubling" protective netting efforts after Yankee Stadium incident.
- The Tigers will not retain Brad Ausmus, so let’s all put on our best “shocked” faces.
- The Rangers may pursue Lorenzo Cain.
- The Minnesota Twins are going to make the postseason, and we aren’t appreciating that enough.
- The Rays will listen on Chris Archer and Alex Colome this offseason.
- Watch Aaron Hicks rob Wilson Ramos of a sure grand slam in his first game back from the DL.
- Addison Russell destroyed a Cardinal fan’s nachos while diving for a ball. Just another American tragedy in 2017.
- Chris Sale’s outing against the Jays went very badly and could cost him the Cy Young.
- Bruce Maxwell just became the first MLB player to take a knee for national anthem.
- Mark McGwire called Aaron Judge to congratulate him on breaking the rookie home run record. No, I’m not crying, you’re crying.
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Want to be the most stylish person you know this offseason? Check out our latest shirt with BreakingT and be the envy of all your friends and loved ones.
Today in baseball: On this day in 2012, Fernando Rodney sets a franchise record for the Rays when he earns his 46th save of the season.