The destinies of the teams in the American League East have been set in stone for this season...okay well, maybe just who ends up in the playoffs. The Red Sox are your 2017 American League East champions, and they’re not the only AL East team to see October baseball. The Yankees have landed the AL Wild Card Game spot and also the upper hand of having it on their home turf. But is that actually going to be an advantage?
As for the three teams who will end their season in the coming days, a lot of questions arise, mostly with franchise players. Can the Orioles still make use of Mark Trumbo’s contract? Is there some kind of hail Mary shot that Joey Bats comes back to Toronto? When the weather gets cold the stoves get hot, so scoot a little closer and get toasty.
Here’s what other news and rumors are floating around the American League East:
- Apparently only 1⁄3 of Tampa residents think keeping the Rays is important. For starters, hurtful.
- The Yankees clinching home field advantage in the Wild Card Game is a mixed bag.
- Let’s take a moment to talk about some of the young Blue Jays and what we can expect from them as the grow.
- The Orioles can still salvage Chris Davis’ and Mark Trumbo’s contracts.
- Health matters most for the Red Sox right now.
- What does the future hold for Matt Duffy?
- Time is running out for Dellin Betances to rebound.
- The world reacts to Jose Bautista’s final home game.
- Watch J.J. Hardy get a standing ovation and curtain call in what is likely his final home game with the Orioles.
- Jackie Bradley is going ice-cold at the worst possible time.
- Chris Archer says that baseball players face ‘harsher criticism’ for protesting.
- The Yankees need Jacoby Ellsbury to continue producing in the playoffs. Fingers crossed.
- Let’s distract ourselves with how glum this season’s Orioles team was by looking straight ahead to the future and top Baltimore pitching prospect Hunter Harvey.
- How concerning is Drew Pomeranz’ recent performance? Could the 28-year old still be battling lingering injuries?