The Twins have optioned third baseman Miguel Sano — a 2017 All-Star — to Single-A Fort Myers, the team announced.
Twins option Miguel Sano, an All-Star in 2017, to Class A Ft Myers.— Phil Miller (@MillerStrib) June 14, 2018
Sano’s demotion came following the Twins’ 3-1 loss to the Tigers. They are hoping he can hit the reset button after he has been struggling mightily all season.
The 25-year-old right-handed hitter has slashed .203/.270/.405 while hitting only seven home runs, knocking in 27 runs and striking out 66 times in 163 plate appearances across 37 games this season. Even though he missed 25 games in April and May with a hamstring injury, Sano’s minus-0.2 WAR ranks 112th out of 128 AL hitters with at least 150 plate appearances, per FanGraphs.
Sano’s production is a far cry from what he did at this time last year, as he had slashed .270/.372/.537 with 18 homers and 54 RBI in 72 games (through the month of June 2017). He went on to finish with 28 homers and 77 RBI while producing a .264/.352/.507 slash line in 114 games.
Minnesota chief baseball officer Derek Falvey said to Phil Miller of the Star Tribune that the main reason Sano went to Single A instead of to Triple-A Rochester was to try to give him “the most supportive environment” for him to succeed and begin his comeback.
“We’re not going to follow the traditional view — just go get at-bats at Triple-A,” Falvey said. “We wanted to take a step back and blank-canvas this a bit and say, ‘What do we think the best next steps are for him?’ … We can do a lot of things with the facility we have there, around strength and conditioning and the work you can do from that side.”