he MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we’re running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
The 2018 MLB Draft wrapped up with a nice little bow and a few surprises along the way. Miss out on something and need to catch up? Check out all of our draft coverage right here and never be that guy again.
Our most recent FanPost Friday wants to know: What should your team do at the deadline?
- The Cubs placed Kris Bryant on the disabled list with a shoulder injury that has nagged him for a while, limiting him to just one home run since May 14. It’s not viewed to be too serious, but it’s unquestionably an unpleasant development for a Cubs team that was already slumping.
- Lorenzo Cain has been placed on the DL with a groin strain, and the Brewers recalled Keon Broxton — a member of the 20-20 club in 2017 — to replace him.
- Unfortunately, Mets GM Sandy Alderson is taking an immediate and indefinite leave of absence from the team to focus on his battle with cancer, which he’s dealt with since 2015 but will undergo surgery for later this year. A team that includes former major-league GMs J.P. Ricciardi and Omar Minaya will fill in for Alderson during his absence. We at Daily Dish wish him the best.
- Are the Marlins going to be buyers or sellers at this year’s trade deadline? You’ll never guess what Derek Jeter and friends — who traded four former All-Stars over the offseason in exchange for a mishmash of prospects highlighted by .178-hitting Lewis Brinson — are likely to do.
- Baseball is full of surprises, so here are three teams that could have surprising second halves in 2018.
- Casey Mize was the #1 overall pick in the 2018 and he just got paid. The Tigers locked him up for the most money we have seen under the current draft rules.
- The Royals haven’t wasted any time selling off assets — they’ve already moved Jon Jay and Kelvin Herrera — and they’ll look to move more impactful veterans in the final month before the trade deadline.
- Edwin Jackson has been around for a long time in the majors. He has also gotten around, as he just pitched for his record-setting 13th team. Pretty wild.
- We continued our previews of the 2018 MLB trade deadline with a look at the Washington Nationals, who have already become active on the trade market as they look to capitalize on their window of contention.
- Speaking of said previews, just in case you missed one or want an easy reference tool, we made an index of all of them so you can find the team you want to look at without muss or fuss. MLBDD, always making your life easier.
- The Reds kicked off this season in arguably one of the worst ways ever. Are they going to be buyers or sellers at the deadline or just sit in mediocrity for a little longer.
- The Cubs have one of the most complete rosters in the majors, but they may still be buyers for supplemental pieces at the trade deadline.
- The Rangers may not be close to a playoff appearance, but some of their pitchers could be...just suited up in a different uniform. Here’s who Texas could part with when the deadline rolls around.
- It’s difficult to imagine the Astros getting much better than they are right now, but you can still expect them to be buyers at the trade deadline.
- There’s no debating it: Bryce Harper is an outstanding baseball player — sometimes he may even be considered one of the best in the league — but we might be overvaluing him.
- Time to tune in to the potential next face of your franchise. Here’s how to follow every first-round draft pick on social media.
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
As the rumors start to fly, follow us on Facebook and stay constantly in the loop of what’s going down around MLB.
Want to be the most stylish person you know this season? Check out our latest shirt with BreakingT and be the envy of all your friends and loved ones.