The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we’re running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
The 2018 MLB Draft wrapped up with a nice little bow and a few surprises along the way. Miss out on something and need to catch up? Check out all of our draft coverage right here and never be that guy again.
We’re predicting every MLB team’s trade deadline moves because we like painful optimism and blind faith. Just in case you missed one or want an easy reference tool, we made an index of all of them so you can find the team you want to look at without muss or fuss. MLBDD, always making your life easier.
Our most recent FanPost Friday wants to know: What do you think of the shift?
- The New York Mets are almost certainly not a good team, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t have talent on their roster. Yesterday, we examined whether or not they should be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline.
- Garrett Richards was setting himself up for a decent payday this offseason when he became a free agent, but instead he will go under the knife and have Tommy John surgery at the worst possible time for him.
- Need to get caught up on all the transactions in baseball yesterday? We have you covered with our complete MLB transactions recap.
- In the latest saga of, “Who will land Manny Machado this summer?”, the Yankees have appeared to state their case as a candidate by making a “strong offer” for the four-time All-Star.
- The Astros have decided to option former closer Ken Giles to Triple-A, proving even more that they need a closer as the deadline draws near.
- Austin Jackson’s time as a member of the Rangers looks to be brief, as they have designated him for an assignment after having acquired him from the Giants on Sunday.
- It’s pretty much impossible to keep up with all the Manny Machado rumors at this point, and we’re now at the stage where it’s easier to list the clubs within sniffing distance of a playoff spot who HAVEN’T been connected to him recently (the Astros, Mariners, Nationals, Giants, and Rockies, in case you were wondering).
- Our Wayne Cavadi caught up with Kris Bryant as he began a rehab assignment with the Double-A Tennessee Smokies and got his thoughts on returning to the Southern League, how he’s evolved as a major-leaguer, and much more.
- The 2018 All-Star game is drawing near, and your All-Stars have been announced. Check out who will be representing the American League, the National League, and who still needs your votes to get there.
- With the announcement of the All-Star game rosters comes the time of year when we all argue about who should or should not have made the team. We ranked the All-Star snubs Monday, and you will probably disagree with the list because the internet is a wonderful yet terrible place.
- The Giants freed up some spending room in preparation for a possible deadline move (and created some competitive-balance tax flexibility) by dealing Austin Jackson and Cory Gearrin to the Rangers.
- It is a time-honored tradition to argue on the Internet over whether or not to have the DH rule in place for the whole league, but Ivan came up with a new rule that turns the presence of a designated hitter into a strategic choice that can change based on the situation.
- MLB free agency was a nightmare last offseason, as nothing happened for a long time and it felt awkward to follow along and cover. Matt looked to some other sports for guidance as to how to make MLB’s free agency better.
- Four first-round MLB draft picks failed to sign by the deadline. At least that means there’s enough sad fans for a support group?
- The Mariners have signed Jerry Dipoto to a multi-year extension, so one can only assume he is going to trade himself for a comp pick and two lower-level middle-infield prospects.
- Baseball is full of surprises, so here are three teams that could have surprising second halves in 2018.
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
As the rumors start to fly, follow us on Facebook and stay constantly in the loop of what’s going down around MLB.