The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we’re running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Need to catch up on everything that happened at this year’s non-waiver trade deadline? Check out our complete review of every deal that went down on July 31.
The last few days have obviously been quite active as it pertains to wheeling and dealing. Let’s quickly get you caught up.
- The injury count continues to climb this year as Johnny Cueto is headed for Tommy John surgery.
- Need some help getting caught up on all of the moves from the trade deadline? We have you covered in our daily transactions list recap.
- Our own Matt Powers went through the winners and losers of the trade deadline and identified the deals he liked the most.
- The Pirates and Rays made the biggest splash of deadline day, with Pittsburgh sending former top prospects Austin Meadows and Tyler Glasnow to Tampa for ultra-coveted (but often inconsistent) starting pitcher Chris Archer.
- The Brewers added cloudiness to an infield mix that was already extremely confusing, acquiring former All-Star second baseman (and maybe soon-to-be shortstop) Jonathan Schoop from the Orioles for Jonathan Villar and two prospects.
- The Phillies made an interesting deal, trading for currently-injured All-Star catcher Wilson Ramos in hopes that he can have an impact late in the season and in the playoffs.
- The Dodgers acquired Brian Dozier, one of baseball’s most imposing sluggers over the past few seasons, in exchange for Logan Forsythe and two prospects.
- The Braves added a much-needed veteran to their rotation, getting Kevin Gausman (and an injured Darren O’Day) from the Orioles for a package of prospects.
- The Cardinals shocked the world by trading center fielder Tommy Pham, who has struggled a bit in 2018 but received MVP votes in his first full season last year, to the Rays for three prospects.
- The Mariners added another fourth-outfielder type to their outfield mix, getting Cameron Maybin from the Marlins for infield prospect Bryson Brigman.
- The Pirates made a late-night trade to acquire Keone Kela from the Rangers.
- The Braves made a move that came out of nowhere to snag the Reds’ Adam Duvall to bolster their bench and their lineup against lefties.
- The Red Sox have filled one of their few holes in second base as they brought in solid veteran Ian Kinsler from the Angels due to Dustin Pedroia simply not being able to stay on the field.
- The Yankees made a small improvement to their rotation with the acquisition of Lance Lynn.
- The Mariners are trying to stay in the AL West race and bolstered their bullpen as they got Zach Duke from the Twins.
- Despite all the baggage he has due to looming assault charges, the Astros sent a big package to the Blue Jays for closer Roberto Osuna.
- Our Eric Cole writes that following their miserable showing on deadline day, there’s more reason than ever to use #LOLMets.